Backyard BBQ Competition
$500 in Prize Money
Do you fancy yourself to be a guru with the grill? It’s your chance to show off your barbecue skills and be crowned the MeatUp! Backyard Barbecue King!
The Milwaukee MeatUp! Backyard BBQ Competition is an amateur, non-sanctioned event that will give barbecue enthusiasts a chance to experience what a real competitive barbecue competition is like, with a focus on good food and good fun. So get together with your friends, form a team, and compete to be the Milwaukee MeatUp! Backyard BBQ Champion.
The registration deadline is Friday, July 20. The Backyard BBQ Competition will be capped at 20 Teams, so register early!
Competition entries will be judged according to Kansas City Barbecue Society rules, with the following modifications:
- This is an amateur competition. Participants may not be a member of a professional team.
- Two meats (Chicken and Ribs) will be turned in during the competition.
- All cooking methods are allowed. You may grill on gas, wood, or briquettes.
- No garnish rules apply, so knock yourself out and surprise us.
Materials and Facilities
The Competition will be held in the parking lot at Kettle Range Meat Company, 5501 West State Street, Milwaukee. Teams are expected to provide everything but the meat, including their own grills, fuel, grilling materials and incidental supplies.
- Kettle Range will provide each team with 1 whole chicken and 2 racks of pork ribs. The cost of the meat is included in your $50 registration fee.
- Each team will be assigned a 10×10 area to set up in. Spots will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis.
- Electricity is not available at the competition site.
- Water will be available near the competition site. Teams should provide their own jugs and wash basins.
- The competition is open-air. Teams are permitted to set up a canopy-style shade structure, if they wish.
- Team must provide their own tables, cutting boards, utensils and other materials.
Saturday, July 28th
- 6:30 AM: Check in, find your assigned space, get your meat, and set up.
- 7:30 AM: Backyard BBQ Competitors Meeting (Attendance is mandatory)
- 10:00 AM: MeatUp! opens to the public, so you should probably be grilling by now.
- 12:00 PM: Turn in your Backyard Chicken for judging.
- 1:00 PM: Turn in your Ribs for judging.
- 3:00 PM: Backyard BBQ Competitions winners announcement and award ceremony.
Judging will be coordinated by an experienced Kansas City Barbecue Society judge and will consist of a 6 judge panel to be announced on July 15. Judges may or may not be experienced barbecue judges, so remember that we are doing this for fun.
In addition to the prestige of being named the MeatUp! Champion, teams will be awarded the following prizes:
- Grand Champion: $150 + trophy
- Grand Champion, 2nd Place: $100 + trophy
- Best Ribs: $75 + trophy
- Best Ribs, Runner Up: $50 + trophy
- Best Chicken: $75 + trophy
- Best Chicken, Runner Up: $50 + trophy
All participants will receive a Milwaukee MeatUp! BBQ Competition T-Shirt.